SELF ASSESSMENT

I was never really a fan of writing while I was growing up. This is mainly for reasons that I never really get to write about what I want. Every time I would hear that I have to write it would feel like a nuisance and I only did it to get it out of the way. It wasn’t until I reached high school that I started to like writing. My high school would give us a topic but the way we answer it and how we answered it would be completely up to us. This allowed me to actually put my thoughts into what I did and be creative with it. Also I wrote a lot of papers on many different things which helped develop my writing skills and thinking process. This also resulted in me starting off my college year strong because I was able to write a paper that my professor enjoyed.

For my first assignment in my English 21007 class I had to give a technical description on an item of my choice. I chose to describe a pen. My first draft was a complete disaster. I didn’t remember most of the requirements for this description which led to my work being a complete disaster. However seeing other peoples work showed me what I was missing from my work and I had to change my format and add material. This resulted in my final draft which I actually had confidence in. This couldn’t have happened if it wasn’t for peer review which I feel is essential for writing.

Deciding on a memo topic I thought about the escalators being fixed but I realized everyone was doing it and I wanted to be unique. I began thinking about my ID and how useless it was. I realized ID’s can be used to do more than just show a security guard at the front door to get in. I thought it will be perfect for attendance. I really don’t like having to look for the sign in paper to sign in because it takes away from the lesson sometimes. I used to use a system in middle school to sign in with an ID and I know first hand that it works efficiently. I don’t see it coming to the school anytime soon because it cost a bit of money that I know the school wouldn’t want to provide. However, it’s still a great idea to put out there in hopes they’ll get it.